Friday, May 24, 2013

Bickering Kids

There has been a lot of arguing between the kids lately.

* Yesterday morning, I read this verse during my quiet time:
Titus 3:9-10 But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. Warn a divisive person once, and then warn them a second time. After that, have nothing to do with them.

Hmm, I should help my children avoid foolish arguments that are useless and unprofitable. I should help them to recognize their arguments as such. I may warn the person causing the argument a few times, and then separate them from me and/or the other child.


* This week's character study with the older child is on arguing. During yesterday's reading, the Titus 3:9-10 verse came up again. Another one that came up was Proverbs 17:14 - Starting a quarrel is like breaching a dam, so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out. Commentary with the verse said "Help children stop quarreling before it starts. Remove the child who insists on arguing, enforce a stop to argumentative conversations."

Well, that really spoke to me, too. I need to continue teaching my children ways to avoid arguments. I've also been working to remove the argumentative child.


* Then, one more verse from our character study today:
Proverbs 22:10 Drive out the mocker, and out goes strife; quarrels and insults are ended.

Again, remove the child who is causing the disturbance with his/her unkind words and actions, and the rest of the negative situation with diffuse.


*Another verse that came to mind today while dealing with such an issue with unkindness and arguing with the kids was Proverbs 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.


Of course, these verses could be applied in more situations than just with our children, but they have particularly blessed me over the last couple days.



No comments:

Post a Comment