Friday, June 16, 2017

Glad for the Hard

Almost daily right now, I'm reminding myself that I'm "glad for the hard." Does that sound strange - to be glad that things are difficult?

I would describe myself as being very intentional with teaching my kids to live morally and godly. I frequently pray for them to grow to "know, love, and follow hard after Jesus." I have high hopes about how they will act. I want them to show kindness, generosity, honesty, and forgiveness, among other characteristics. I don't want them to be jealous, selfish, rude, mean, dishonest, or unforgiving (also among other characteristics).

So, when "Glad for the Hard" came to me a couple months ago, I was feeling disappointed with some of my kids' mindsets and actions. But then I realized that, although I'm training them, they are still growing and have not yet accepted Jesus as their Savior. The Holy Spirit hasn't grabbed hold of them quite yet. We all have our sins, but my children have not yet developed a godly sorrow for their sins.

Before my maternal grandfather passed away, I would ask him interview-type questions when I visited him in the hospital or rehab. settings. I wanted to get more information about him and his life so that his grandchildren and great-grandchildren would remember him and his generation better. One time, I asked him about when he was baptized. It wasn't until he was a young man, soon after his first child was born. He told me that he didn't approve of young children being baptized because they didn't comprehend from what they were being saved. That thought has stuck with me. I do believe some young children do really live for God from an early age, but I definitely see his point.

In Luke 7:36-50, Luke recalls a time when a sinful woman washed Jesus' feet with her tears and anointed them with costly perfume. When Simon the Pharisee grumbled, Jesus told him a parable about two men being forgiven their debts. He asked which man would love more and "Simon replied, 'I suppose the one who had the bigger debt canceled,'" (Luke 7:43). Later, in verse 47, Jesus said, "Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

I have seen this to be true in people I have known as well. Two men in particular come to mind - Trey and Ryan. They made some very unwise choices especially in their teenage years and 20s, but after they found Jesus, they followed Him with a passion that goes beyond many who have been in church and became followers/believers as young children. My chidlren and I read about men like George Muller and Adoniram Judson. After very rough starts in their lives and bad choices that they made, what they did for God in their later years is truly amazing! These "later" Christians are truly inspirational to me!

The thought came to me and I don't believe the mountains would be nearly as beautiful, magnificent, or awe-inspiring without the valleys. In fact, I'm not sure there'd even be mountains without the valleys. But later someday..."Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the LORD will be revealed, and all mankind together will see it. For the mouth of the LORD has spoken" (Isaiah 40:4-5). Other verses I found for this idea include Isaiah 41:15-16, 42:15-16, 45:2-3, 49:11, and 54:10.

Those who go through hard times, who have to learn the hard lessons and sometimes in the hard ways, often have deeper faith. That deeper faith is one that prompts greater action, too, and is not kept in secret in their living rooms at home. I love the idea that, because my kids struggle now, they will hopefully have a more strongly rooted faith in Jesus and will live more confidently for Him. They'll probably need it in the coming ages!

We all go through hard times. Whether it be issues within ourselves (or thoughts, character, etc.), or in the greater realm of our families, friends, jobs, or society, we all have some "hard." No matter if it is health, job, relationships, loss of relationships, addictions, etc., we can all look for the good in which we can be glad.

While my children still struggle with mindsets and characteristics that are ungodly, I remind myself to be "glad for the hard." I pray that they will love Jesus all the more someday, when they realize from what He can set them free. I pray that He will create such a notable life change in them that they will never doubt His reality and love. I pray that I never forget this in my own life when I recognize my own sins, either.

May we continue to train up our children to know, love, and follow hard after Jesus. 
Proverbs 22:6; 3 John 4

May none of us lose heart and give up when life gets difficult.
James 1:2-4, 12; Galatians 6:9

May we know that God uses every struggle.
2 Cor. 1:3-4, 9-10; Romans 8:28

May we all recognize our need for a Savior.
1 John 1:8-10, John 3:16-17

No comments:

Post a Comment