Monday, October 2, 2017

Growing Weary

Recently, there was a day when I was sitting at the table eating lunch with my son. I reminded him to put his knees down, quit rocking his chair back and forth, use his utensils instead of his fingers,...

I started thinking about how tired I get of correcting the children sometimes, and telling them the same things over and over. I get tired of the eye rolls or glares, or the jerking away from me when I gently prompt or remind them not to do something, such as bite their nails. (They are really good kids and not typically disrespectful like this, but it does happen.)

I grow weary. Maybe I should just stop telling them these things and let what would happen just happen - falling on the floor, having sore fingers, missing or losing a future job opportunity due to their habitual actions or behaviors. I even said something like this to them recently, about maybe I wouldn't remind them not to bite their nails anymore, but both kids said that they still wanted me to help them.

God prompted me to consider this weariness and how it applies in witnessing. Sometimes I feel weary about people who haven't accepted Jesus, or who say they have, but they sure aren't living it, or have distorted what the Bible says about some things. Most of the people I talk to respond with indifference, but I know for others, the response can be very unkind and hurtful. Relationships that you thought were pretty strong can suddenly be lost. That really hurts if the reason you said anything at all is because you really care for them. It can make a person feel weary and want to stop trying.

Current events including the hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, and (so far only a) word battle with North Korea, have hurt my heart for so many people whom I don't even know. A couple friends have posted how this could possibly be the beginning of the end (Matthew 24:6-8, Mark 13:7-8). (I'd recommend that you read all of Matthew 24 and Mark 13.) One friend shared this as part of their post: "Christians, we should not panic, but be urgent in sharing the gospel. We know the end of this story....." My thoughts toward those who are going through these times and events without a relationship with God have been heightened. These people don't the power and love of God the Father, Jesus the Son and our savior, and the Holy Spirit in their lives. They don't realize what their eternity is going to look like. We all have eternal life, but will it be heavenly or horrible?

Even when it gets hard, I will choose not to give up - not with my children, and not with other people. I heard once that we should not give up on anyone whom God hasn't given up. I know people who have prayed for YEARS for someone before they accepted Jesus. They didn't give up even when it looked hopeless. I choose to persevere, too. Even when I'm weary, I will find strength in the Lord and I will persevere.

Galatians 6:9 - Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
Deuteronomy 31:6 - Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.
Joshua 1:9Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.
2 Thessalonians 2:16-17 - May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.
James 1:12 - Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.

No comments:

Post a Comment