Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Let Them Stay!



My back has been hurting the past few days. I'm sure there are multiple reasons, but when I eliminated most processed sugars and carbs from my diet last spring, I noticed that I didn't have back pain anymore. Well, it's hurting again, and as I evaluated my food intake of the past couple weeks, it has included breads, cookies, and other sweets. I have such a weakness for these! That chocolate hazelnut spread and cookie butter were bought special, just for me! The Amish Friendship Bread and the pasta meals have been so delicious! 

I was thinking about either throwing out the items that are tempting me or urging my kids to hurry up and eat them. 

But I need to develop self-control.

That's when I realized that this applies to more than just what's in my pantry.

When we have temptations out in the world, we can't always remove those. It is not in our power to remove them all, and I'm sure we'd encounter quite a push-back from some other people if we tried.

Sure, we can remove some temptations from our immediate environments, such as our homes, or our phones. We can remove alcohol, magazines, certain tv shows/movies/websites, other media sources. We can block people with certain language or behavior from entering our abode. It is good to have a safe place to rest from our battles, where we can rejuvenate and prepare for the next.

But since we can't erase all temptations, we must develop the fortitude to fight them with self-control, which is a quality of the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

"For the fruit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, 
faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law." 
Galatians 5:22-23

A parable told by Jesus came to my mind.

Jesus told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared.

"The owner's servants came to him and said, 'Sir, didn't you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?'
"'An enemy did this,' he replied.
"The servants asked him, 'Do you want us to go and pull them up?'
"'No,' he answered, 'because while you are pulling the weeds, you may uproot the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.'" - Matthew 13:24-30

  • We leave the temptations - and those who may bear the temptations into our lives - much like the weeds were left with the wheat. 
  • We can grow strong even in their presence when we are under the faithful care of the one who planted us where and when we are.
  • Uprooting the weeds may cause us not to grow as strong as we should.

Unlike the weeds in this parable, 
who would never be able to change and become like the wheat, 

the people around us 
who are living their lives entangled by their temptations

 have the opportunity to change!


Praise the Lord! In view of God's great mercy, patience, and the grace that He has for every single person who will accept His great and free gift - let the weeds stay! May those who are the "wheat" have a profound impact on them so that they may also become "wheat!"


The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9


Therefore I urge you, brothers, on account of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God. - Romans 12:1-2


Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. - Galatians 6:9


No comments:

Post a Comment