Monday, January 2, 2012

My Daily Bread for the End of 2011

The other day, we were visiting some people and I was reminded again how very different we see things - a worldly perspective versus a Biblical, Christian perspective. Not only that, I was feeling judged for some of the decisions I have made for our family (primarily our children) regarding media choices, nutrition, etc. I admit that I often seek the approval of others, and this is definitely the case with these people. They are important in our lives, even though they don't see things the way we do. Maybe I shouldn't react so strongly, but I saw confusion on my daughter's face when a particular topic came up, obviously brought up to get me to comment, which they thought was fun to pester me about. Poor girl didn't seem to know what to believe and that upset me. I want her to know that she can always trust her parents. There was also another point in the day when it appeared that they were trying to do something with my daughter and hide it from me, which is another thing that upsets me. I think it was just something silly, like eating a piece of cake or some marshmallows, but I don't want my children to be encouraged to lie to me or hide things from me, no matter how big or small. We have had this type of incident with this person before and I've talked with my daughter about Satan using anyone, even people close to her like friends or family members, to pull her away from God, and I don't want that to happen. Satan uses lying, cheating, stealing, and deceiving to pull us away. She needs to keep talking to God and keep talking to her parents so she can know the truth.

Anyhow, I was feeling pretty low at one point in the afternoon. I had gone into another room to put some things away and organize some items. I felt defeated. I felt like just saying, "Fine. You all do whatever you want with my children. I'm just going to step back out of the picture and you won't have to worry about me anymore. It'll be easier that way." Yes, it would be easier, possibly, but it would be wrong. I knew this was a lie being told to me by Satan, because I've heard it many times before and have learned to recognize it. I should never step out of my kids' lives. I should never give up on the truth or what is right.  So I got down on my knees with my face to the floor and prayed. I prayed for wisdom in what I should say and do throughout the rest of the day, what my attitude should be, and that I could take myself and my feelings out of the picture so only God could be seen.

I was reminded of some verses I read during a previous visit. I was up early one morning with my son, sitting on the couch and reading my Bible. I often feel like I want to say something to them about their lives, how to live for Jesus, etc. Here is what I read that morning: "Whoever corrects a mocker invites insult; whoever rebukes a wicked man incurs abuse. Do not rebuke a mocker or he will hate you; rebuke a wise man and he will love you" (Proverbs 9:7-8, NIV84). I realized this is exactly what would happen if I tried to say anything to them. I would be inviting insult and incurring abuse - and this is not a relationship in which I want to risk that. I realized I needed to keep my mouth shut at the current time and let God show through my other words and actions, through how I live my life. They see me read my Bible. They hear me reading Bible stories with the children and praying with them. They know that church is important to our family. I trust God to use that however He will and I continue to pray for the salvation of these.

I was also reminded of the Bible verses I read on this particular morning and I went back to read them again: "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Like an earring of gold or an ornament of fine gold is a wise man's rebuke to a listening ear. Like the coolness of snow at harvest time is a trustworthy messenger to those who send him; he refreshes the spirit of his masters. Like clouds and wind without rain is a man who boasts of gifts he does not give. Through patience a ruler can be persuaded, and a gentle tongue can break a bone" (Proverbs 25:11-15, NIV84). I prayed that my words would come from God and be aptly spoken. I prayed that anything I might say would fall on listening ears. I didn't really feel like the ears would be listening and remembered the verse about correcting a mocker, however. I prayed for God's trustworthy messenger(s) for this family, whomever that might be. I prayed that I would have a gentle tongue and patience to wait until the day I will see their salvation. I pray that day will come! I pray that they won't miss out on life with Christ!

I'm also doing a daily devotional study through YouVersion (The Bible App), called Parenting By Design. It is a really good study for living your life intentionally for Christ and passing this on to your children. Here is Saturday's message: "THE GREAT REWARD  As Christians, our goal in life is to be transformed to be more like Christ. To aid us, God provides the Holy Spirit, who directs us when we surrender our will and submit to His guidance. That seems pretty simple, so what stops us? Well, the world seeks our transformation too, but into something quite different. It encourages us to be self-centered, rather than Christ-centered. It wants us to grow and develop independence from God and a unique identity through a relentless pursuit of money, power, beauty, and fame. That's exhausting! The path to material glory leads to emptiness in the end. Help your kids understand that principle and you may relieve them of some of the exhaustion and disappointment of chasing the wrong goals. "For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt. 11:30)." It also connected you to 2 Corinthians 3:18 - "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit." I didn't actually read this until on Sunday, but it was another reminder that the ruler of this earthly world (Satan) seeks to pull us away from God and transform us in a totally different way. The people we were with value a pursuit of money, beauty, position, recognition, etc. They have a worldly view and this devotional study reminded me again that I'm on the right track with God and need to keep fighting to follow Him. There will always be attacks to pull us away but we have to learn to recognize them and be strong to resist them.

So, the Holy Spirit had guided me once more, through my readings in the Bible that morning and through a devotional study for the day. Another reminder that God knows what we need for each day and He can provide.

Lord, give us this day our daily bread...

1 comment:

  1. Stand firm on your faith and your principles, Daughter. You and Clint have shown great wisdom and abounding love for your children. I do not know who you were with, tho' some possibilities come to mind. You handled it admirably in turning to God and applying your readings in Proverbs. Those who mock the choices you and your husband make for your family may be fearful your successes invalidate choices they made for their own family. They do not necessarily do so. Our choices must be made within the bounds of our own faith and our own circumstances. While we all like to have the approval of others, we must be obedient to our own calling. Those you were with would like you to be like them because that shows you approve of them. We love you Pretty Girl.

    ReplyDelete