Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Greatest Commandments

I get stressed when my house isn't clean. I am frustrated by the piles of papers that stack up, especially in the kitchen. I'd love to have the house so that I didn't have to worry about it as much, without the clutter.

I know a clean house is not as important as all my talking and thoughts about it may make it seem sometimes, but I justify that a clean house is nicer for the people who live here in it as well as those who come to visit. I don't want my family to live in chaos. I want to have a home that exudes peace and comfort for all who come within.

So, if a clean house is not really a priority I should be as focused on, what should I be focusing on? How about loving God and loving people. Hmm, that could entail a lot, but let's just start with that.

Matthew 22:36-40 - "Teacher, what is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied:" 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.; This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Mark 12:28-31 - One of the teachers of the law came and hear them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

As I just typed those last two verses, the next two were called to my mind.
Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Matthew 7:12 - So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.


Worrying about a clean house is not very helpful in loving God or loving people - at least not to the extent of some other activities. I mean peace and comfort at home for my family and all who visit here is a way to show love to them, I think, but there is even more to life, especially a life with Christ. The Bible speaks about the fruitlessness of worry in Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-34.

The Bible also gives us some ideas about what is important as we work toward loving people. There are multiple verses about taking care of the poor, widows and orphans, and about the care and concern that God has for them. Here are some of the verses I found related to the commandment to love people. I pray that you will have the opportunity and motivation to take a look at them. There are so, so, so many more verses about loving people that I did not compile for this post, but would love for you to share in the comments if you have some you know.
  • Exodus 22:21-24, Deuteronomy 10:17-19, Deuteronomy 14:29, Deuteronomy 24:17-22, Deuteronomy 27:19, Job 29:12-16, Job 31:16-22, Psalm 68:5-6, Psalm 82:3-4, Psalm 146:9, Proverbs 23:10, Proverbs 31:8-9, Isaiah 1:17, Isaiah 10:1-2, Jeremiah 5:28, Jeremiah 7:6, Jeremiah 22:3, Hosea 14:3, Zechariah 7:10, Malachi 3:5, Matthew 18:5, Hebrews 13:2, James 1:27, James 2:5, James 2:16

God created us all and put His very own breath inside us. The way we treat others is a reflection of how we view God. As we do to others, we do to Jesus. (Matthew 25:25-40 [and continue on to verse 46 if you want the flip-side]).

We are called to be the hands of Christ. In John 13:15-17, we are told to follow Jesus' example. In Luke 22:24-26, we are told that the greatest should be like the least, those who rule like those who serve. We need to reach out to others and say to Jesus, "Here am I. Send me!" just as Isaiah did (Isaiah 6:8).

So, my house if far from "clean" but I choose to be at peace with it as we love and serve others. Our children are learning from what we do with them and it will affect the priorities they set, too.

Let's go forth loving God and loving people!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment