Friday, May 29, 2015

Spoiled Rich

So, as my son was trying to pick which cup he wanted to use for dinner tonight, I have to admit I was slightly perturbed with how long it took - because I realized how many choices were available to him.

It hit me how this is not a problem that everyone in the world has. Some families have one cup per person. Some families have one cup per family. Some families may not even have that one cup.

All the things we think are so important to our lives - filling our cabinets and pantries, our bookshelves and movie collections, our schedules and contact lists.

We are spoiled rich. Spoiled. Rich. And we don't even realize it a majority of the time.

Before the tornado threats on Monday, I was sitting and planning some coursework for the Fall. I thought about the possibility of a tornado coming while we were sheltering and taking all our books, papers, etc. What if we lost our computer, important documents, pictures, things that hold memories? It would be difficult and maybe even impossible to recover everything. It would hurt to lose things, but we'd be okay. People do it all the time. So many people lost so much just this last week with floods and tornadoes. They are having to start over.

Here are a couple videos that I've seen this week that remind me of the extreme poverty of many people in the world - such that we can't even comprehend. So many times I feel poor, but I am stinking filthy rich compared to so many in the world. May I never forget that - and more, may I always find ways to share what I have with others.


 http://www.onenewsnow.com/ap/world/indians-crowd-rivers-shady-trees-as-heat-toll-passes-1400#.VWfQ8Ebwu1g

https://youtu.be/zEN4hcZutO0 (Cocoa Farmers Get First Taste of Chocolate)


James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Isaiah 1:17 Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.

Acts 2:44-45 All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.

Deuteronomy 15:11 There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Proverbs 14:31 He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

2 Corinthians 8:13-15 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. Then there will be equality, as it is written: "He who gathered much did not have too much, and he who gathered little did not have too little."

Matthew 25:37-40 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"

1 comment: