Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Wisdom of Children: Earthquakes and Noah

Matthew 18:1-3  At that time the disciples came to Jesus and said, “Who then is greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” And He called a child to Himself and set him before them, and said, “Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

Ah, the wisdom of a child who is open to faith! It is pure and simple, untainted by the worries of adults, doesn't feel the need to conform, and is accompanied by a desire to learn more - because they know there is more to learn. I love opportunities to hear what my children are discovering! Last week, these two gold pieces came from my daughter.

1. Earthquakes. The topic of earthquakes came up. Daughter said that earthquakes are not just earthly, that everyone has earthquakes - personal ones. Well, that intrigued me and I had to ask her to tell me more. She said, "We are all under the burden of sin and our lives are shaken because of it and the consequences that we have." Wow!

The only thing I added was a different perspective: Our lives are under a burden of sin, and sometimes we don't even realize it until God shakes our lives up with a personal earthquake. It is then that we wake up to the reality and are ready to make changes. Just like with earthly earthquakes. Sometimes we don't even think about places such as Nepal, until there is an earthquake. Then Nepal is on everyone's mind and there is a great outpouring of goodwill towards the people of the area.

2. Noah again! Three times this week, the story of Noah was discussed for my daughter. She talked about it at church, in an evening Bible story, and in a morning devotional. I asked her why she thought God had brought it up three times for her and what He might want her to get from it. She answered that God wants us to be like Noah. When I prompted for how He wants us to be like Noah, she said, "Even when other people aren't doing the right thing, we should."

No comments:

Post a Comment