Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Praying without Ceasing


I looked up some verses on praying without ceasing yesterday because a friend posted a question about it about some clarification about not praying using lots of words and praying continuously. Here's what I found. Matthew 6:5-7 talk about not "showing off" when praying. Matthew 14:23, Matthew 26, Mark 6:46, and Mark 14 talk about Jesus praying alone and in Luke 9:28, Jesus withdraws with a few friends to pray. In Matthew 26, Mark 14, and Ephesians 6:18 we are told to watch and pray. Luke 18:1 says we should always pray and not give up. 1 Thessalonians 3:10 says they prayed night and day and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to pray continually. 2 Thessalonians 1:11 says Paul, Silas and Timothy were constantly praying. 1 Timothy 5:5 was meaningful to me and says: "The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help." Okay, some of my thoughts based on all this: Our prayers are supposed to be an intimate time between us and God. They are for us and God alone, not to gain approval from other people. All our decisions should be based on our seeking of God's will and would thus involve prayer, which would mean praying often throughout the day. The reason 1 Timothy 5:5 struck me is that the widow had full reliance on God and prayed to him for all her needs. If at any time of the day I feel prompted to pray, I can and do. I read part of a commentary on "praying without ceasing" and it said some things I believe. At least part of what this means is that we can pray any time, any where, in any posture, at any volume (with or without audible voice) and God will hear us. I think it is important to recognize that prayer doesn't have to be a formal event that we hold to at certain times (meal times, bed times, etc. - although these are all good times to remember God's blessings and pray for His provisions, etc.) but can be like conversations with someone we are close to. With that last part, the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You" came to my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment